Only have a couple of seconds? Want to practice doing mindfulness during your day? Try these 10 Mini Check Ins to see which ones work well for you.
10 Mini Check Ins
- Focus on your feet on the floor. Are they warm, cold? Heavy, light? tingling? Maybe tired or feel like moving? Just keep your focus on your feet. Their weight on the floor.
- Count to 4 as you breathe in through your nose. Count to 6 as you breathe out through your mouth. Repeat.
- Hold your hand right in front of your belly. Breathe deeply until your belly moves out to touch your hand. Exhale. Repeat.
- Intentionally yawn. See how many times you make yourself yawn in a row.
- Do a quick body scan. Turn your attention to your toes, ankles, calves, knees, thighs, hips, belly, chest, arms, elbows, fingers, back, neck, chin, forehead, ears, top of your head.
- Unclench your jaw. Feel your tongue in your mouth. Relax your tongue as if it were liquid resting like a pool.
- Close your eyes. Relax your forehead. Feel your eyes relax as if they were like a pool of liquid.
- Squeeze your hands tightly into fists as you inhale. Really clench them. Then, relax them as you exhale. Really let them be limp. Repeat.
- Listen for sounds in your area. Can you shift your attention from one to another?
- Try S.T.O.P: Stop by hitting a pause button on your activities. Take a breath. Observe yourself in the present moment. Proceed in an intentional way.